Tonight’s taco is Honey Lime Tequila Shrimp Tacos with Avocado, Purple Slaw and Chipotle Crema.
From the internet: none 😦
Our Review: We made this last year, I forgot how much work goes into these guys. Wow. I forgot to marinate before work so they probably didn’t marinate for as long as they needed to but they did marinate. The flavor profile of the shrimp could have been more defined. The slaw was fine, but not great. Also I just used a skillet to cook the shrimp because I didn’t want to go through the hassle of the getting the grill going. Overall the amount of work that goes into the taco vs overall outcome of it, we’ve decided not worth the pay off.
this one gets 2/5 pineapples
~~ For the honey lime tequila shrimp tacos ~~
- 2 pounds (454 g) raw shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- juice of 2 limes + 1 lime
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle (optional)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
~~ For the slaw dressing ~~
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice [about 2-3 limes]
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup light, neutral oil, such as grapeseed
- ~~ For the chipotle crema ~~
- 1 cup (250 ml) sour cream or créme fraîche [low fat can be used]
- 1 to 2 pieces of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce [canned]
- Wash, peel, devein, and dry raw shrimps. Season with salt.
In a bowl, combine honey, lime juice, tequila, onion, cumin, and chipotle powder (if using). Mix well and toss shrimps in marinade. Chill 1 hour up to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat grill to 400 F (205 C). Make sure to oil the grilles well. Skewer shrimps in soaked wooden sticks (this will make it easier to handle on a grill).
- Grill shrimps until bright or just opaque, about 2 minutes each side. Flip the shrimp skewers and cook for another 2 minutes or until they turn bright orange. Alternatively, you can also pan fry the shrimps. Set cooked shrimps aside.
- Dice the avocados and squeeze juice from the remaining 1 lime.
- Thinly slice the red cabbage using a sharp knife or a mandolin.
- To make the dressing for the red cabbage slaw, put the lime juice, Dijon mustard, sea salt, pepper and oil in a jar or bowl. Whisk vigourously until it emulsifies.
- Toss the red cabbage with the lime vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, to make the chipotle crema, place the chipotles in the bowl of the food processor and give it a good whirl until it is smooth.
- Stir in the sour cream or créme fraîche, mixing well until the colour is even. Transfer chipotle crema in a squeeze bottle.
- To assemble the tacos, heat tortilla in a dry pan, about 1 minute per side or until lightly browned or charred. Wrap tortilla in a cloth to prevent from drying out. Set aside, covered.
- Place some diced avocados in the middle of the tortilla, followed by the red cabbage slaw. Remove skewers from shrimps and pile on the taco.
Drizzle with the chipotle crema and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.