I’m a day late on this one, sorry. We went to see The Martian last night so by the time we got back and ate, I ran out of time to get through this.
Tuesday’s Taco was Smokey Pulled Pork Taco with Cherry Peach Salsa. This was one of our favorites from last year. It’s so easy to make and taste great with just about any toppings. While I had some peach salsa left over, I also had an Avocado that was ready to eat so I opted for that.
The description from the internet: Smoky Pulled Pork Tacos with Cherry-Peach Salsa are an insanely delicious way to enjoy tender pork and fresh fruit — a match made in taco heaven!
Our review: Easy to cook, and super yummy. Like I said this is one of our favorites from last year. We’ve mad it over and over again since last Tacotober and will keep making to over and over again. You throw everything in the crockpot in the morning, set it to low and then come home to a great meal. The pork falls apart easily with a fork, the pork is seasoned well and isn’t too spicy. We’ve topped it with salsa, cheese, avocados, just about anything.
this one gets 5/5 pineapples
For the pork:
- 4-5lb pork butt (may be called pork shoulder)
- salt & pepper
- 1 large sweet onion
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce + 2 Tablespoons sauce
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 20oz Dr. Pepper
- Fajita-sized flour quesadillas
For the Cherry-Peach Salsa:
- 1 cup chopped sweet cherries
- 1 cup chopped peaches (about 1 large peach)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- Cut onion into quarters then separate layers into the bottom of a 5 quart (minimum size) crock pot. Trim pork butt of excess fat then cut into 4-6 large pieces and season well with salt & pepper. Lay seasoned pork on top of onions then add chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, and Dr. Pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until pork is tender enough to easily shred with a fork.
- Remove pork pieces from the crock pot and shred, then place into a bowl and set aside. Strain juices through a double layer of cheesecloth and add back to shredded pork. Serve with Cherry-Peach Salsa in flour tortillas.
- For the Cherry-Peach Salsa: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Make up to two days in advance.
Pulled from: http://iowagirleats.com/2012/08/28/smoky-pulled-pork-tacos-with-cherry-peach-salsa-crock-pot-recipe/