Well actually the pork belly taco won, but there was no pork belly at the store so, we’ll go with the runner up. I’ll try to make it next week.
The beef fell apart as we pulled it out of the slow cooker. The meal was easy to pull together. The recipe called for up to 4 chipotle peppers but there were 5 in the can so I threw them all in, which made it a bit spicy for me but just spicy enough for Elliot. I topped mine with avacado, tomato and cheese. Elliot topped his with just cheese. Overall super yummy and we would make them again.
🍍🍍🍍🍍 this one gets 4/5 pineapples (because they haven’t made a taco emoji yet I will use pineapples)
Here’s the deets:
Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa is flavored with smoked chipotles in adobo, fresh garlic and cilantro, and Mexican spices, resulting in a tender, juicy filling for tacos, burritos, and quesadillas, or a tasty topping for salads and rice bowls!
- 2 pounds boneless beef roast (shoulder, rump, chuck eye, top or bottom round, brisket)
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1 to 4 chipotle peppers in adobo, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons reserved sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ounces beef broth
- 6 ounces Mexican beer
- Generously season beef roast on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place in the bottom of a large slow cooker.
- In a mini or regular-sized food processor, pulse garlic until chopped. Add cilantro leaves and pulse until minced. Add chipotle peppers plus adobo sauce, lime juice, tomato paste, cumin, chile powder, garlic salt, and oregano. Secure lid and process until just blended. (Alterntively, you may use a knife to mince garlic, cilantro, and chipotle(s), then stir in remaining ingredients until well mixed.)
- Spread half of chipotle mixture over the top of the roast. Carefully flip roast over and spread remaining mixture over other side. Pour beef broth and beer into the bottom of the slow cooker (without washing the chipotle mixture off the roast). Drop in bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove roast to a cutting board. Skim fat off top of cooking liquid, if necessary, and remove bay leaf. Slice beef into chunks and then shred pieces with two forks. Return to slow cooker, stir meat to soak up liquid, and reheat on Warm for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve as a filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, or on top of a rice bowl or salad. Refrigerate leftover meat in reserved cooking liquid.
Recipe pulled from:http://www.fivehearthome.com/2015/02/03/slow-cooker-beef-barbacoa/